Friday 20 February 2009

The eve of departure

Well the times arrived finish the packing and start heading off. To be honest I am sat here writing this and surrounded by a 101 things that still need doing! Including further training on the camera equipment and last minute interviews.

I would be lying if I said that at this moment in time I’m not feeling a mixture of nervousness and excitement at the prospect of spending the next 6 weeks surrounded by nothing but a very large and desolate frozen arctic. I am being accompanied by Flat Stanley who was presented to me by the pupils and staff of Mawgan in Pydar School in Cornwall.




I officially head off tomorrow morning from Heathrow airport heading to Canada to commence 2 weeks of training, before heading off for my first village visit and then 2 weeks solo trekking across the Baffin to the next one.

Most of my time on Baffin will be spent meeting with the local inuit communities, hunting with them and talking to their local schools about climate change and discovering what effect it is having on them and their lifestyle.

I will be interested to see what changes have taken place since my visit last year; more directly is the fact that the National Park last year was closed due to excessive flooding. The park authorities have informed me that there was extensive damage and this is bound to have a direct effect on the running of this year’s expedition.

I look forward to keeping you all informed of my progress and of any problems that I encounter en route. The discussion board for schools to ask questions will be live on Monday in preparation for my first two weeks worth of training upon arrival on Baffin.



Lastly a big thank you to Tina from Tesco’s for all her help today and to PC World and Currys. Its very much appreciated.

If you have any questions or have any enquires whilst I am away please do not hesitate to get in touch with my assistants Cathie and Mihaela on the contacts page.

No comments:

Post a Comment