Friday 6 March 2009

Last night of training

Well its now the final night of training and tomorrow is the end of the course. It has been a demanding and challenging time both physically and mentally.

Yesterday was a hard day covering over 10 nautical miles. To replenish our lost calories we had a tasty meal of pemmican. Pemmican is a frozen block of high calorie lamb stew which you boil and add noodles or rice. On an average day you burn about 5-6000 calories, about 5 large pizza's!



The day starts with a porridge breakfast and a number of hot drinks. You then break camp and walk for about 60 - 90 minutes and then have a 10 minute break to quickly eat and drink. This way you keep your body temperature constant and keep covering good distance. We then pitch tents about 16.30 and straight away start cooking.



It's with a sad thought that I write this surrounded by my team mates knowing that on Monday I set off on my next phase of my expedition. I will be spending a week at an Inuit village before setting out solo, for my 150 mile ski traverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment