Wednesday 11 March 2009

School visit

Today I had the pleasure of giving a talk at the local local school. I decided to focus on showing a slide show of some of the places that I have visited around the world, as well as some of my most memorable experiences.

I wanted to focus on some of the outdoor sports I have done and how they have had an impact in my life. I am a strong believer in outdoor education and how it can help inspire and teach addition life skills like team work and improve self confidence. I was pleased to learn that the school had just started a snowboard club, so I was very keen to share my experiences as a snowboard instructor in Austria and the UK.



The students also enjoyed learning about other peoples around the world, especially about the Sami people in Scandinavia. I talked about how the Sami heard reindeer and how they race reindeer.




Traditional Winter Houses


The traditional winter dwelling of the Inuit was a perfect solution to housing land virtually devoid of wood. Constructed of rock, whalebone, skin and sod, with sunken floors and entrances that trapped cold air, these dwellings enabled Inuit families to spend long arctic winters in relative comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment